Friday 29 December 2017

MIKE OSBORN BOOK DESIGNER


I came down to London from Leeds a freshly minted Graphic Designer in 1964. I had £50 in my pocket and an ambition to set the town alight with my talent. The aim was to eak out this sum until I had only the bus fare back to Yorkshire remaining and rethink my ambition, not to help run Bill Cropper's transport business. It took 2 weeks to go through the money and I was down to my last pound plus the bus ticket back. So I did what any other self respecting budding genius would I do. I walked into my favourite pub in the west end and bought a pint. The Dover Castle in Weymouth Mews near Harley Street was run by an ex debutant who had a terribly disfigured face from a car crash as a young thing. I had with me my large black portfolio containing my work. The guy behind the bar was my age and friendly and we got chatting. He asked me what was in the folio and was I an art student. I revealed to him my story and why I was in London. He said, "Let's have a look at the work, come into the back bar and open it up on the table." He silently turned the pages looking intently. He asked when I was returning to Yorkshire. "Well I've just spent my bus fare so I will be hitching a ride when I leave here." 'Tell you what." he said, "stay at my place tonight and tomorrow come into work with me." "What here in the pub?' "No to Waterlows the printers, we need another designer, I'll introduce you to my boss, and then you will work next to me, you can cast off* can't you?" I nodded.
"Ok that's settled I finish in a minute, and then we can have a drink. My names, Mike by the way."
Mike Osborn lived in Harley Mews above a garage, with his parents and two sisters and another stray designer who he had befriended and was courting his elder sister. They all squeezed into an area no bigger than the garage itself. Now me. His Mum and Dad, Gene and Stan, sisters Carol and Mary, Gary Brocklehurst and Mary's boyfriend John Daws and me stayed in the Dover Castle until closing time then we all went back to Harley Mews for sandwiches and pickles. I slept on the floor between the wall and the bunk beds which Mike and Gary were in. I had found a London family, it was like evacuation in reverse. I got the job by the way. £9 per week. I was reminded of all this yesterday when a belated Christmas card arrived from him and Eve. I had to laugh, Mike was notoriously forgetful and always tardy and lax with deadlines, waiting until the eleventh hour to present his work. If you are a paperback thriller fan you have probably handled one of his book covers. Thanks Mike I owe you.
* CASTING OFF. Choosing a type face and point size, for a piece of copy, typed or otherwise, and make it fit into a specific area.

No comments:

Post a Comment